Thursday, December 3, 2009

Trials and Blessings



Well, here is our bombshell for the year, Dave lost his job with McDonalds on December 1. It was a bit of a shock, but we had a week to prepare for. It was a conflict of interest with what I have been wanting to post for months!

As of September 20th, we became part-owners of a cute little restaurant called "10th Street Grill". And I even have pictures;). Our partner is Larry Francis, a good friend of Dave's from high school. His wife and I are good friends too. With Dave's business know-how, and Larry's culinary background, I know they can make this successful. It's just the start up that is a little scary for all of us. I think we all are learning a lot about the business world. We have had many friends help us out and thank them for that.
We had a lot of time to reflect last week on the possibilities with Dave losing his job, and I think we had the best time together. Dave wasn't on the phone constantly and we were able to spend time evaluating our family life. I can honestly say I am glad that Dave has had a big burden lifted off of him. He seems relieved and excited for the future. He really is such a hard worker, which I admire. I probably work one day to every week he does. I have no doubt that things will work out for the better. Yes, I am sad about the way he left (he chose to resign), and we have loved the almost 5 years he has worked for them. They were absolutely wonderful employers. But I am also excited for the new opportunities he can pursue now. And I am so grateful for ALL the help he has given me at home!! I don't think the house has ever stayed this clean for this long!!!

On a different note, here are some videos of the kids I couldn't help but post. They absolutely love watching little clips, so here is one of each of the kids. Tina is playing with her cousin Anna. Braden is being his crazy self, and Brooklyn is extra cute! Yes, my prayer worked to find the cord...Dave once again found it! He really is amazing:)

We appreciate the prayers on our behalf. I have had amazing spiritual experiences that have increased my testimony. I have been reading the Book of Mormon, and my favorite story is about Limhi. They were going through rough times with the Lamanites and the Lord was able to lighten their burdens...Not take them away, but strengthen the people so that they did not feel them. I think he has done that for us too. I am so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! There is nothing in this world that brings me more joy than knowing that I can be with my family forever! I treasure that knowledge.

6 comments:

Holly said...

I'm sorry about the job loss. That can be kinda scary! I hope things work out with that little Grill place. What a blessing to have such a positive outlook on it like you do! I've always appreciated that about you- always a smile for everyone and I've never seen you grumpy or sad! I would honestly have a nervous breakdown if Ben lost his job- but it's good for me to see someone deal with it better than that! ( :

Anonymous said...

I hope all goes well with the new restaurant! It looks like such a fun place!! Change is always difficult and scary, but it sounds like you have a great perspective!! Thanks for the clips; your kids are adorable!!

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

Hey, my dad said that he saw Dave at the 10th Street Grill and I thought maybe he had the wrong Dave but now it all makes sense. I know you guys must be going through a hard time right now but you're always so positive and optimistic. We wish you the best of luck with the new job. As always the kids are adorable! And we really need to get together!

Anonymous said...

Melanie, you truly amaze me! I think you are the most optimistic person I know. But I wish you all the luck in the world with the business. What a scary time, but no one can handle it better than you. By the way, I would love to go to the temple with you sometime very soon! And, I just love your family :). Love you Melanie!

OccupyThis said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this world needs more people like you! I'm excited for what the future has in store and I can't help but see the cup as half full after talking with you the last few days. Thank you for your wonderful example of faith. I'm sure you and your family will make it through this trial and time of uncertainty. Love, Devin

Cody and Sharice said...

Wow, you are such an example to me! I love your optimism! You are always so happy and positive! We will definitely have to go eat there, I am excited to try it out! Let us know if you need anything!