Sunday, November 9, 2008

Dial-up

In order to save some money to dig us out of the debt trenches, we decided that we would each sacrifice something. Dave has graciously given up ESPN and we are now getting an antennae for the TV. Our neighbors have one and with the new converter box, the local stations come in clearer. But I unfortunately am very addicted to blogging and my sacrifice is the very fast DSL internet. We down-graded to dial-up and I guess this will make me appreciate what I had once and look forward to the day when we can get it again. All in all, we will be saving about $80 a month, which added to a debt could knock off a year in payments! So I guess I am just telling everyone that I won't be getting on as much because I don't have the patience (it took me an hour just to get this far!) and maybe now the computer desk and surrounding area will be cleaner too??!!
We both thought this change might be good for both of us to spend more time with the kids. Dave loves to just veg in front of the TV and I am constantly hearing, "Mom, get off the computer!" And who knows, maybe our electric bill will go down too?? I hope because it has been outrageous this summer. Hope everyone is doing well, and maybe when I'm at someone's house with better internet, I can check out blogs!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the debt cutting!! Way to be proactive and have a positive outlook!

Anonymous said...

Melanie, you are so awesome! That is a wonderful idea, to not only spend more time with family and to spend less, but also to realize some of the luxuries we take for granted! I really admire your positive attitude, you are inspirational! Love you Melanie! Can't wait to see you guys!

Family News said...

Well, I'll miss your comments on my blog! But lucky me, if I get too desperate I can just walk over and have a nice face-to-face conversation!

You guys really are inspiring! We've started unplugging things and turning off stuff with power strips. It really makes you realize how stuck to modern luxury we are these days.