Thursday, February 11, 2010

What's the Point?

First, I have to wonder how my 2 year old does it...The other day, she found lentils in the pantry and had them spread around the house before I even knew it. By the time I vacuumed them up, she had discovered the rice container and THE SAME DAY had that spread everywhere - and I mean EVERYWHERE. There is still some tucked under my bathroom cupboard! Tonight it was popcorn kernels in the dog food bowl. Ha, I caught her in the act. She's giving me the dirty look because I yelled. Too bad she's so cute:(
I have been avoiding the kitchen cleaning, and you can probably tell why with these pictures. I thought I would let down a little pride and let you enjoy the "before and after pictures" of my very late night cleaning. I may not enjoy the act, but I love seeing the amazing difference once I finish cleaning, so here you are:

The "before" dishes

After doing the dishes, whew!The dreaded "before" counter - which is the dump site of the house. I can never keep this clean!


The "after" counter...I get it cleaned! Yeah

Here is the "before" table...
Then the "after" table (don't look too close, I didn't wipe, just picked up)

And here is what the table looks like now. A day of making Valentine's for school, and a dinner of cold cereal mixed in there somewhere. Seriously why even bother?? I now know why moms have issues with depression. It makes me want to give up sometimes! But posting helps me vent. Thanks guys!

6 comments:

Catie said...

We have a counter that is the "dump spot" just like that. I think I am going to try your idea of taking before and after pics. Perhaps it will help me to feel like I HAVE actually accomplished something at the end of the day.

Holly said...

Ha ha, oh Melanie, just keep at it! It really is frustrating when you find you could spend all day cleaning and see no results in the end. I think it must be partly due to having several small children who for the most part can't be counted on to really help clean or take care of their own stuff. I feel like I'm on top of the house momentarily, but as soon as the baby comes I'm afraid of what will happen!
Just keep going- someday you won't have those cute kids around anymore to mess up your house!

Unknown said...

I remember those days...and all I can say is enjoy those cute little cookie crunchers while you can because they'll be gone before you know it! Sure love you!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. As soon as I get things picked up it's a mess again. The living room is our trouble spot. The kids bring all there toys out and dump them on the floor and NEVER put them away. Our dining room table is our dump spot, so I never get to actually use it for dinner. Instead we all sit at the counter. Right now our table is doubling as a dump spot and desk. So I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

I love how we just had this conversation. I really feel the same way, and I don't have a 2 year old or 4 kids for that matter! You really are amazing. It was so fun watching Brooklyn today for the little time I got to. She really is so cute :) if mischievous at times. We sure love you guys!

LeeAnne said...

Hahaha... different kitchen, same scenario! Looking at those pictures was like looking at my own kitchen... dishes piled, dump site on the bar, table covered in stuff... I do love it when I get it all decluttered, but darn it, it usually goes right back to the way it was within a day!