Monday, January 10, 2011

My Monthly Mentor

Hey everyone,
Just thought I would enlighten you all by my newfound excitement. I found a book and website that I LOVE! It's called "Double your income doing what you love." I have been really into listening to audio books at this new library which is awesome! And I have been focusing on self-help. I found this and thought it sounded interesting, but I didn't realize that it was all about setting goals! Raymond Aaron has a new refreshing way of looking at your life and setting goals around what you love.
The part that hooked me was called "Instant Gratification Society." Here it's a good thing. You take something you want, and you can do it every month! He chose to "take a glorious weekly vacation every month." Now I know you are thinking that is impossible, and he did too, so he took "abbreviated" vacations to get him into the habit. At first it was a stroll in the park, but he called it his "glorious one week vacation that month." The next week he went to visit his sister for the weekend, all the time calling it his "glorious one week vacation"
So for my instant gratification society, I am going to deposit $1,000 in my savings account every month! This month it will probably only be $10 but I am getting in the habit, and I'm going to call it my $1,000 monthly deposit. I'd love to hear your "instant gratification society" membership requirements:)
The next part talks about the goals for the month, and it has different categories than I have ever heard of before. So to report, I'm going to post them here, and at the beginning of next month, I will track my progress, and make new goals (and if any of you have ideas for ways to achieve some of them, let me know!): The categories have an acronym of MAINLY, and they have levels to achieve. I get points for what level I complete
M is for Mess. Mine to clean up is my finances. My bronze medal is to track my expenses, My silver is to set up a budget, and my gold medal is to pay off a debt! I am delegating some of this task to Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. It starts tomorrow, I'm so excited!!
A is for acknowledgement: I'm going to acknowledge my family. Bronze: show them an act of love everyday, Silver: write an individual love note to each member, Gold: take them out on a "date" with me individually.
I is for increase my wealth: My goal is business related, and I'm not doing too hot on it. I may have to reevaluate that. Bronze: I will call 2 people a day, Silver: I will call 3 people a day, Gold: I will call 4 people daily, and become a strong 1K
N is for new: I want to try a new restaurant in this great city:) Bronze: try an ice cream cone with the kids, Silver: go out with Dave for lunch one day - his birthday at the Mahogany Grill, Gold: go to dinner at the Mahogany grill!
L is for Learning: I'm going to learn Adobe Photoshop Elements 9. Bronze: I will alter a picture, Silver: I will make one scrapbook page, Gold: I will finish 2010 scrapbook pages!!
Y is for Yourself: I am going to weigh no more than 157 lbs by Jan 31st. Bronze: I will exercise 18 times this month, Silver: I will make 28 homemade dinners, Gold: I will keep track of what I eat everyday!
If you want to check out the website, he has papers you can fill out with your personal MAINLY goals on chapter 7. You just have to add your email and a password, and I haven't gotten any extra emails from him. I have had a blast, and I think by keeping it down to a month, I should accomplish more than if I make yearly plans! Hope you all have fun:)

3 comments:

Holly said...

Sounds like you are making some real headway and I hope you are able to achieve all your goals! I like how they start small and work up to the tougher stuff. That way you don't disappoint yourself right off the bat by not being perfect!

Anonymous said...

I can help you out with the restaurant thing, my brother used to live there and they know the best places to eat in Durango I'll have to give them a call and ask!

Good luck with your goals. My main goal this year is to lose 10-15 pounds, so I excercise 5 days a week and try to eat less of what I cook and we're cutting down on eating out (this also saves money!) and I try to use healthier ingredients (though some things just can't be substituted!)

BTW I'm trying to learn Adobe Photoshop Elements too, let me know if you learn any good tips!

Anonymous said...

Melanie, you're amazing! I just get tired and overwhelmed looking at goals like that. I'm so impressed that you get excited! I can only handle maybe, oh one at a time haha. You are amazing though and I hope it works out for you!! What a good idea to post your progress on your blog!