I have decided that these three things are related in terms of my will power and endurance. I don't know if this is common or not, but I get really excited to start a new "Program" whether it be Weight Watchers, exercising, budgeting, or a house cleaning schedule. Then after awhile it gets tedious, or I get busy and it gets left on the back burner. Does this sound familiar?
Well, I checked out a book called, "America's Cheapest Family" at the Library and DEVOURED it! They had all these helpful hints to save money. I am now pumped to get out of debt and still feel like I can spend some money on things I want. They were able to pay their house off in 9 years! And on only one income of $35,000 a year!! That would be amazing. So I have started a budget and debt payoff program. Now the kicker is to keep it going.
Last June, I got really going on Weight Watchers (my own version), and exercising everyday. I ran on the elliptical M,W,F and did Winsor Pilates on T, TH, and Sat. I was excited to loose all of my pregnancy weight and get back down 6 pounds UNDER the pre-pregnancy weight, but after the cruise in Feb. we came back and lost our umph. I am now back up the 6 pounds and am pretty discouraged at myself for it. Hopefully with new motivation in one area, it will bleed into others.
Housework has never been my strong suit, but the schedule I did does help. Now the house doesn't look like a complete disaster ALL the time, but it never feels completely clean either. Maybe with the new school year starting, it will help me come up with a schedule that will allow me to work on all these areas and keep them going...Wish me luck!
Oh, I have to share the tips I found helpful from the book!
1. instead of buying $5.99 a pound lunchmeat at the deli counter, get a cooked ham from the meat section (for about 1.99 a pound) and ask the deli to slice it for you (for free!)
2. To save water, fill a water bottle (24 oz) and put it in the toilet tank
3. When you want to buy something at retail, stop and think if you can get it used first.
4. I really liked their KidSmart Money program. You set up a point system and they earn a certain number of points in a day and each point is worth like 10 cents (or more depending on their age.) Then on "Pay Day" you award them the points, but also make them divide their money into three categories, Give - 10%, Save-20% and Spend-70% (or however you think is best) Then when they have saved around $30, set up a savings account at the bank. I'm excited to start that program!
5. When traveling and staying at a hotel, the family brings a slow cooker to make dinner while they are out enjoying the sights. They hook it up to the bathroom outlet:)
6. Their budget system consists of setting up different categories and putting a certain amount of money into each category. It becomes a game for them to see how much they can save in each category! I liked their attitude;)
Hope the tips were fun. I'm sure there's more on the website. Dave's the one that discovered that hidden jewel!
1 comment:
Really, I've got to try that book. Maybe even just for the inspiration to do better.
I did make a goal to get back into my life in Sept....I've had two months of being miserable and just getting through each day. I'm so hoping that the next few weeks I'll feel better and I'll get back into my routines. I hate feeling stuck in a rut!
Post a Comment