I have been going a little nuts this October trying out different pumpkin recipes. On October 1st, we went down to our neighbor's pumpkin patch and purchased our pumpkins. I got a couple of sugar pumpkins that you can make various pumpkin stuff out of. I thought I would give it a try. To make pumpkin you cut a sugar pumpkin in quarters and cook in the oven at 375 for 1 hour and remember to put the skins UP, so the inside faces down. Then you scrape it out and puree it in a blender or food processor. It can freeze up to 3 months.
Oh my...I have currently made:
Pumpkin cookies,
Pumpkin cake,
Pumpkin roll,
Pumpkin pancakes,
Pumpkin squares,
and soon to come: pumpkin bread!
They have all been really good, but I think my family is a little overwhelmed with pumpkin though. But for those of you who would like to try ONE of these (or all) here are the recipes:)
Pumpkin Chip Cookies
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
1 c. chocolate chips
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
*Stir the shortening to soften. Gradually add sugar and cream together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix well. Sift flour, baking powder, seasonings, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin. Beat after each addition until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips, nuts, and vanilla. Drop on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min. Cool on baking rack. These cookies freeze well.
Pumpkin Cake
1 yellow cake mix- I used spice cake mix (reserve 1 c. cake mix for topping)
1 egg
1/2 c. margarine
*Mix well and press into a 9x13 pan.
Mix:
1 1/2 c. pumpkin
2 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. evaporated milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
*Pour into pan over cake mix.
Topping:
1 c. cake mix
1 1/2 Tbsp. margarine
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
*Mix together until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of pumpkin layer. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Serve with whip cream on top.
Pumpkin Cake Roll
It can be made ahead and frozen till you are ready to use it.
3 eggs, well beaten
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. pumpkin filling
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chopped walnuts
* beat eggs at high speed for 5 min. Gradually beat in sugar. Stir in pumpkin filling and lemon juice. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Fold into pumpkin mix. Pour into well greased and lightly floured 15x10 inch baking pan (I did a cookie sheet). Top with chopped nuts. Bake at 375 for 18-25 min or til done. Turn out on dish towel, sprinkled with powdered sugar; starting at narrow end of towel, roll towel and cake together and let cool.
Filling:
1 c. powdered sugar
1 8 oz. pkg. soft cream cheese
4 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
*combine powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla; mix til smooth. Unroll cake; remove towel and spread filling over cake. Roll up again and wrap with plastic wrap, then with foil. Freeze until ready to serve.
Optional: You may want to take cake roll out of freezer and place in fridge for an hour before serving, depending on how you like it. Roll cuts best when frozen. Yields 10-12 servings. Garnish with sliced strawberry or mint leaves.
Pumpkin Pancakes: I just added pumpkin to my pancake recipe along with nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon.
Pumpkin Squares:
This is a Chambers Thanksgiving Tradition.
1 c. sifted flour
1/2 c. quick oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter or margarine
*Mix until crumbly. Press into 9x13 pan. Bake 8 min at 350 degrees
1 lb. can of pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk (13 oz.)
2 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
* Mix together. Pour on top of baked crumb crust. Bake at 350 for 20 min
1/2 c. pecans or walnuts
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
*Combine and sprinkle over top. Bake another 15-25 min or until done
Serve with whipped cream. Makes 12-15 servings.
4 comments:
Ha ha- you sound like me Melanie! We went and bought a bunch of those sugar pumpkins and made them into frozen puree. I have TONS! I steamed it in a huge pot- I could fit about 5 pumpkins at a time- and then I ran it through my victorio strainer which took off the skins and left the pumpkin goop. It was sweet! I love pumpkin rolls and pumpkin cake too. ( :
I pureed pumpkins last year! I used just regular pumpkins and vacuum sealed them and it's kept all year. Another yummy, simple, somewhat healthy recipe:
2 C. pumpkin
1 spice cake mix
1 bag chocolate chips
either put in muffin tins or scoop into cookies. Bake in the oven at 375* for 12 minutes.
YUMMY! Only 60 calories each!
Yummo!! I'll have to try these! I love seasonal food, so I'm a sucker for pumpkin in the fall!! Thanks for the recipes!!
I'm a pumpking fiend. Now I have to try every one of your recipes!
Post a Comment