In the shower this morning, I was thinking about this story in correlation to my weight loss "race". In the past, I would exercise really hard for a few days and then lose my momentum after getting really sore and not wanting to hurt more. After I had Brooklyn, I got on a good system of exercising every day. I'd mark an "E" on a calendar and enjoyed seeing lots of E's filling up the months. The exercise would generally be about 20 minutes a day. Once I got a little stronger, I pushed it up to 30 or 45 minutes a day. I got 4 pounds away from pre-pregnancy with my first child, but then I got out of the habit.
That was the closest I have been to achieving any type of weight goal. This week so far I have exercised my 20 minutes daily, and I am thinking like a tortise. I won't expect the big 20 lb. weight loss immediately. I acutally gained a pound this week, but I will still try to exercise everyday. I find that if I do, I don't eat quite so badly - I don't want to undo the work I just did. I don't enjoy exercising like my mother or others I know. It's a CHORE. But I have enjoyed Winsor Pilates DVDs. I feel more flexible afterwards. I also run on our elliptical on the other days (we bought that after Brooklyn was born and I needed to feel we were getting our money's worth!)
Unfortunately, I am not able to join a group exercise class, which I was planning on doing after Cole was born, because of time constraints (life gets too busy sometimes), but I figure this system worked with me after Brooklyn. I hope I won't "take a nap on the sidelines" and fall off my schedule, but if I do, I'll just get back on;) I'd love any workout hints from y'all if you have fun with it!!
6 comments:
I don't know what to tell ya! I HATE exercising too. I always dreaded going to Jazzercise and felt tired and ornery afterward. I did meet my weight goal after doing Jazzercise for a year! It does help to be able to do it with other people because then you don't stop, but I know it's awfully hard to fit in a class to life's crazy schedules.
Take it one day at a time. I don't love to exercise and I've been horrible about exercising since I had Boston. I have been doing weight watchers though and that has worked wonders. Now I need to start exercising so I can tone up. Good luck!
I have no great suggestions becauase I think excercising is a chore too. So after this baby is born I'm going to try using the Wii Fit because I really enjoyed that before so hopefully after it will get me motivated. By spring I hope to start riding my bike everyday to and from Haylee's school. That's what I'm going to try, but we'll see how it goes.
Exercise is a HUGE chore for me- I have to admit I really don't like it. BUT when I do get motivated and just do it, just 20 mins or so, I feel great afterward and wonder why I don't do it more often. For me it helps if I have a friend to exercise with (that's usually what ends up being the motivation I need to do it), and once I'm done with that exercise I love the sense of accomplishment and that general feeling of well being (and energy!) that comes with doing exercise.
Good for you, Mel!! I know you can do it!! Loosing weight after baby can be soo tiresome and the end seems so far away. Slow and steady is a great motto, then you don't burn yourself out. I have always done Weight Watchers and have been able to loose the weight I wanted. (I just need to stick with it after I've lost it! ;S)
You are just like me! I have the hardest time motivating myself to exercise. But I have found a few new DVDs that I like to do at home. One is "one-on-one training with Jackie" and the other is "30 day shred with Jilian Michaels". They both have 3 20 minute workouts that really do the job. Jackie's video has an ab, leg, and arms routine. Her ab workout is by far the hardest one Devin and I have ever tried. But still fun. You should get them. They are both good movies. Hope this helps.
Post a Comment