I know you are out there, you mothers who dread the day that you are "honored" and you look back and wonder why? I dread this day, but I can't tell my kids that. There are expectations attached to this day. When you think that everything will go perfectly. That you will have one day where you won't hear kids fighting. You won't have to yell, or clean up messes. Because they are "suppossed" to be good for one day. The day you are honored right?
I will never forget the mother's day when I get out of church, and Dave has been working. I get to the car and notice glass on the ground and think, "that's funny, I don't remember that being there when I parked??" And then I look up to see the car window smashed everywhere and my purse missing in the front seat! That's right ON Mother's day.
Another Mother's day I thought I would be able to have go smoothly. I was worrying about making a lot of side dishes to bring up to dinner at my mom's house, when Brooklyn poops in the bathtub. It was crazy getting to church in the first place, and I had a meltdown on the way to my mother's place.
I did have a good laugh about it with Dave's mom and she remembered feeling the same way I was feeling that day. I'm so glad to share those feelings of guilt, joy, pain, frustration, embarrassment, silliness, and love that only a mother could recognize.
I have resigned myself to enjoy the day no matter what, and you know what, I bet I will!
7 comments:
I hear you sister! Sounds alot like my mother day's except for the theft.....that would put me over. Way to make it through another one...:) You are my example!
Only another mother can understand what you are feeling. All I can say is that it gets better with age--both yours and your kids!! Love you!
Yesterday at the "girlie lunch" that Jess had, it was great to hear all these "older" mothers talk about how they thought they were failing as mothers when their kids were little....and now we can look at ourselves (the children with the failing mother!) and see that we did turn out ok....
Alright, that was quite long and babbly....but hopefully you understand it a bit!
I made it through most of the day today until we got home from church and I was trying to get the kids back out the door to my Mom's...they weren't listening and instead they were quickly making a mess of the house. Then I did blow up. I guess that's doing pretty good isn't it!
I always have a hard time with mother's day because I want to be treated special and nobody ever treats me that way. You know, the kids pull all the usual stunts like screaming and telling you they hate you, and the clueless husband totally forgets it's even mother's day- that sort of thing. It's funny, I'm not so worried about if I'm a good mother or not- I guess I must think I am and I want someone to acknowledge it! With mother's day it sometimes seems like you just can't win. I'm glad you are trying to have a good attitude about it and enjoy the day!
Melanie, I just love you :). And it sounds like you kind of had another one of those Mother's Days. I didn't realize you felt that way. But if anyone deserves to enjoy it, it's you. You have so much to do, and I think you're great! I'm sure I'll start getting that same feeling. This is my first mother's day as an official mother, so I'll probably be feeling the same as you :). But I sure love you and look forward to hangin out with you this week!
Mother's Day makes me feel guilty.... my kids give me these cards that say 'you are the BEST mom EVER' and I think... 'Am I?' I think of all the times I have yelled and gotten mad and wonder if they really think that or just feel like they have to tell me that because it's Mother's Day. (I am glad my kids aren't the only ones who have pooped in the tub when they were little) :)
I hear ya! I'm glad I'm not the only one! This year I was thinking the perfect Mother's Day would be at a hotel. Alone. Then I felt guilty! You made me feel better! :)
Post a Comment