We have discovered a "better way" to managing our finances, thanks to Dave's parents. We have 2 checking accounts now. We have already discussed which bills we are in charge of, and how much I need for groceries. Now we just transfer the money over and keep track of our own checkbook register. Last month we didn't go into our overdraft! I love that we get to keep anything left over in our account also. Dave's really excited to sell stuff so he can have a cusion in his account, and he's more conscious of his spending. I am keeping much better track of what I am spending and now I know we have enough to live on.
Thanks for giving us some good directions Gary and RuthAnn! I'm so grateful for all of your help in the finance department. I feel so much better now.
Only 4 more debts to go until we are debt free!
Step 1: Sell the truck and other miscellaneous stuff
Step 2: Increase Mel's income with piano students - include flute lessons too?
Step 3: Plan every purchase (grocery trips, research best deals for big purchases, use coupons, etc.)
Step 4: Reduce bills as much as we can - limit driving, AC, electricity, etc.
If you can't tell, I'm very occupied with our finances, but I really feel that this set-up is best for us. I had a hard time keeping up with both of our spending and bills. You'll have to let me know what works for you too!
2 comments:
I hope it continues to work well for you! We have to be super careful with our finances, since we only have one income, (and it's a lowly military income at that!) but two households to pay for. We had a couple of scary months, but now my husband has been promoted and we are a lot more disciplined, so things are going much better.
Melanie! I needed to look at this a long time ago! I really want to talk to you but I did call and got your answering machine, and I'm looking for a better way to get a hold of you :). I so understand how you're feeling about finances. I've been "in charge" now all of a sudden and am definitely feeling a lot more stress! Maybe we'll do something along these lines :). But I would love to talk to you, so call me when you have a minute!
Post a Comment