Friday, July 11, 2008

De-Junking!

This past week has been our "spring cleaning" a few months late, but I don't care when it is...it feels so good to de-clutter our lives. We started in the TV room and secretly got rid of the toys that have missing pieces, or the kids don't play with. I have noticed that when babies are bombarded with toys, they will not play with any, but if they only have one they are more content. I think that is true with the older kids and also us as adults. When we have more stuff than we even know of, it is more stuff to hold over our shoulders. It weighs us down and uses up our energy to find space for it or clean it etc. I think I will be able to get to those projects now because I got rid of those I don't even want to begin (Yarn etc.) I LOVE being able to give things that are still good to the Deseret Industries. I feel like I am able to help someone else and also myself when I can donate.
I'm also grateful for a husband who will do the nitty gritty cleaning and make our house enjoyable again. I have to say it got pretty bad! He is my voice of reason on silly things that I keep like glass jars (I learned a long time ago that glass is one thing that never biodegrates, so I always feel guilty when I throw away one.) I had a stash in my cupboard that got "ridiculous" according to Dave:) Luckily he talked me out of keeping them, and it is so nice to look in my cupboard and see space! Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about. Simple is Better!!

5 comments:

Kari said...

congratulations on all of your dejunking. After talking to Dave yesterday, I was inspired to go through our toy room. I didn't get rid of much, but I did get it all cleaned up and reorganized. I wish I could get rid of our toy kitchen, but Taigan plays with it a lot. It just takes up so much space. We had tons of fun at the concert and yes, the baby was moving to the music. He's going to be a rocker! As far as the space needle goes, we just have never wanted to spend the money to go to the top, but Trevor's boss treated us to the view. It was great. I'll see you soon. We're all so excited!!!

jordan said...

good for you! We have such a small place that I have no choice to get rid of unnecessary clutter... so that's a perk I guess. And I've noticed the same thing about kids toys, it's almost better to have a few good ones.

Family News said...

Really, after I check out your de-junked space maybe it'll inspire me to let go of a bunch that I really need to get rid of. We do toy rotation and that helps a ton....but there are several other areas of the house that NEED a thorough cleaning--you heard Joseph, it's our stuff room!

Chris said...

That was an articulate summary of what we learned in an 8-week course on "voluntary simplicity." I think there are lessons there, good reminders, where I can improve my practice. Thanks. we love you.

Melissa Hernandez said...

I get so happy after deep cleaning my house, it's the best feeling ever!!!!