Thursday, March 13, 2008
Bad Parent Week
I have declared this my "bad parent week." After Brooklyn's appointment where I came home feeling like I was bad in not giving her enough tummy time, I went to Braden's big metabolic appointment. We go now every 6 months and I have to fill in a nutrition log for three days beforehand. My guilt trip gets worse every time I go. I don't remember the medicine everyday, and the oil - I have to mix it in to his food (2 Tbsp. a day!) And at this point he is pretty picky. Needless to say, I felt guilty going into that appointment. I felt worse when they told us that he has dropped down the percentage in height...Is is my fault for forgetting the medicine?? That's how I felt today when Braden had run a fever for 3 days and refused to walk more than a few steps because his legs hurt. So when I set up an appointment, Dave agreed to go with me for moral support...What a sweetheart! He helped me by joking around and making me laugh about being bad parents. I think that there are days where I feel like such a bad parent and I remember what my dad told me: "I look at your kids and they are happy. That's the mark of good parents." So for all of you who have days or weeks like me, look at your kids and if they are happy, then you are doing OK. And for my parents (and Dave's) I think you all have been great!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think all parents feel like bad parents sometimes! I felt bad when kennedy had an ear infection and I didn't know so I waited a week to take her in! Then I forgot to give her the medicine twice a day! I have hit her head on the wall while carring her and just yesterday, I got her stuck in her swimming suit and her neck was bright red! Don't beat yourself up. You are a wonderful mom and you love and provide for your kids. They love you too!
I feel your pain. I think we all have those bad parent moments. I remember my first one. When Taylor was a newborn...I mean only a couple weeks old, I cut her skin while I was cutting her fingernails. I was devastated. I seriously cried for a long time. There have been many more in the 8 years since then. I love how you are so good at playing with your kids. :)
Mel, if there's one thing that moms are good at it's feeling guilty! You're an awesome mom! I definately have days and weeks like that! For instance, when Isaac was a newborn I layed him on the couch while I grabbed a burp cloth, I propped pillows up to make sure he didn't fall off......and he didn't. However, Daisey (15 months at the time)picked hime up, carried him to me and dropped him at my feet!!! Aaah! I think I cried for longer than he did! And Daisey just thought she was helping! lol Anyway, I love ya Mel! You're great!
I love your dad's words of wisdom. I'll remember that when I'm having a "bad parent" day - or week - or month.
I think if you feel guilt about being a bad parent, that probably means you are a good one. Real bad parents probably don't ever think they are doing anything wrong.
Post a Comment